Monday, April 4, 2011

Weekend Update…

Atlanta was sunny, warm and pollen coated this weekend! The weekend kicked off Friday night with USTA mixed tennis league. The thing with mixed tennis is there is an unspoken code of sorts. If the guy on the opponent’s side, wails the ball at the woman on your side, it is game on. I had more than a couple of line drives at my head that resulted in me making some matrix like moves to avoid permanent injury. Sadly, despite my matrix like talent or perhaps because of it, we lost that match in three sets.



Saturday morning was the kick off session for my run/triathlon club so was up bright and early for a meet and greet followed by a 2 mile training run. We have sub-groups within the club based on paces so we used the training run to give people a chance to figure out if they were in the right pace group for the season and get a feel for how a group run goes in general since more than a few didn’t run on a regular basis. The route we took had some big climbs so I was huffing and puffing through some of it. Lesson of the day: don't let the small runs fool you!, they can hurt!

Post-kick off, I dashed an hour across town for a playoff tennis match in one of my singles tennis leagues. The match ended up being the longest match I have played ever. In the end it was four hours from start to finish. My opponent was absolutely the nicest person I have played in a long time and I truly enjoyed the match. I play so many people who are extremely intense when it comes to the game that not having to deal with all the mind games they play was a nice break. I came out the winner in that one so am on to round two! The downside is that it pretty much ruined my legs for my planned 10 miler the next day. I was participating in The Happy Runner’s virtual half so I guess that makes me a virtual DNF. :( The race was one of those where you could break up the mileage so I thought surely I could do it Sunday but it was not to be.

Which brings us to Sunday, guess what? More tennis…. Another sunny day in the 80s. My ladies team plays on Sundays @ 1:00 and this was the first Sunday that had fantastic weather since the season started a few weeks ago. We were soaking it up! The team came away with a 5-0 win which made it even better. I was so dead tired last night, I went to be at 8:30 just a 2nd grader and it was awesome!

This week I am swinging back into training mode, hope I survive! Mostly swimming and some running. I think I am going to use a heart rate training program I used a year or so ago that helped me build some speed and then do a track workout mid-week. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Hope you all had a nice weekend!

7 comments:

Darlene said...

Wow! Lots of tennis. When I hear about tennis, I want to play but then I need time to run. I didn't play but watched SONY Ericsson final on TV. Congrats on your singles win.

Kate Geisen said...

Girl, you're a tennis-playing fool! :) Sounds like a great time, except the jerk who was aiming for your head. You had a full weekend, for sure!

And for me, definitely even the short runs can still hurt me. And yet, I repeatedly underestimate them. I guess that's what you call a slow learner. :)

Lindsay said...

that's a LOT of tennis. a lot of time out in the pollen... sorry about your DNF but congrats on the win!

RockStarTri said...

My wife plays tennis frequently. I do not. She signed us up for a couples mixed doubles league on one Saturday each month. We break the mold since the "in the know" doubles players try to pick on her when I am by far the weak link.

I hope they don't figure out what is going on before the league ends.

Jill said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend of exercise galore! Love that you love tennis so much. My PT is a big tennis player and said I should do tennis now that I can't run. Um....I can't hit that dang ball, is that a problem>> :)

Amanda said...

I don't know how you fit all that in and still managed to stay upright! Awesome weekend events.

Find divorce lawyer said...

I would love to hear from you the ways on your heart rate training program. Keep on posting!