Monday, July 30, 2012

Riding the trail...

My training this year has felt sporadic to say the least. I am blaming my love for tennis. I am fortunate in that I only work about 20 hours a week which should make it oh-so-easy to get all kinds of Swim/Bike/Run in but it does not. Don't ask me why, I am still trying to figure it out. I have come to the conclusion that I need to set the alarm like I did back when I was a 9 to 5er and just get it done. I tend to put it off to the end of the day and that just is not working for me. So it is that and the FIVE tennis leagues I was in. Yeah. My last match ended Saturday with a loss in the semi-finals. Just like that my schedule was wide open. I made plans the next day to get in a bike ride on the Silver Comet Trail.

In Atlanta, there is not a lot of flat. So for those days when your legs want a break and you want to give yourself the best chance at finishing a long ride or run, you go to the Silver Comet Trail. Totally worth the 45 minute drive :)

Forty miles out, forty miles back. A stop for combos, a conversation with a gentleman wearing Santa Claus socks, a spotting of two wild turkeys and I was done before I knew it. Two thumbs up for the new Adamo seat by the way. I apparently was suffering needlessly last year. It turns out all long rides are not torture tests. Huh, who knew? I guess the folks at Adamo did..

A few views from the day ...

6 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! I'm off summers since I teach, and I get far less training in during my summer vacation. I'm in that "vacation" mindset, which meants staying up late and sleeping in a little, and then knowing that you can always run or ride or whatever "later"...and later never seems to show up.

Nice job on that long ride! I replaced my MTB saddle, which made it MUCH nicer, and my road bike saddle is up next!

Karen said...

Yes! That is it exactly. I am watching way too much Conan. Maybe I should just TiVo him :)

Ransick said...

Nice long ride! Love my Adamo seat too. I had some serious problems before switching saddles.

Suz and Allan said...

That sounds like a great place to ride. Every time I read your blog I always start to think that I need to get a bike.

ajh said...

Combos hit the spot on a long bike ride.

Unknown said...

7 years after quitting my 9-5, I'm still struggling to get my stuff done in a day. I don't know why.

I love my Adamo... I don't know how I ever rode anything else. :)

Tom and I need to get to Silver Comet. Should we go during the week?