Monday, September 21, 2009

Good thing I was feeling lazy today...

I don't know if you have seen reports of weather in GA (or fellow bloggers complaining about it) but it has been raining here non-stop since last Tuesday. Yesterday was no exception. I heard the lightening and thunder all night long and woke up at around 3:30 when the electricity came back one to reset my alarm clock. Don't ask me how I knew the electricity was back on, it just was a coincidence, really. Divine intervention perhaps. At any rate, I set my alarm for my usual 4:44A with the full intention of getting up and doing an interval run on the treadmill. At that hour, I am not listening to the radio or watching TV, I am just putting on clothes as fast as I can to head out the door.

This morning, I was lazy. I had been awakened several times through the night with the storm that had rolled through. When 4:44 came around, I re-set the alarm for later. Later as in just in time to get up to go to work.

I get ready in a rush. I haven't checked the weather as I pretty much know the forecast is rain for the next 7 days. I think I saw a ZERO percent chance of rain on Monday the 28th! Every day prior to that is a minimum of a 40% chance. As I am walking out the door, I notice a big pool of water in the garage. Ruh roh. My mind immediately goes to the water heater. Checked. Not leaking. Thank goodness as we just had that replaced earlier this year. I grab towels and start trying to figure out the source dreading what one would think must be some sort of plumbing disaster.

In most cases, a flooded garage would be no big deal. In our case, we don't actually park the cars in the garage, it is more of a workshop for Rick so it is lined with tools, cabinets, you name it. Think storage space as opposed to garage. Not crammed to the gills but still quite the project to drag everything out and dry it off. Thankfully, I was lazy this morning or might not have even noticed the water as I left for the gym shortly after 5a.

As it turns out there were floods all over the city, particularly in the area I travel through to get to the gym and to work. Several roads caved in due to the water underneath the surface. One lady got swept away in her minivan and died down a street I pass right by to go to the gym. I am also thinking at 5a, some of the areas with damage might not have been noticed and I could have plowed right into a flooded street or road that had collapsed. There were a couple of each along my route. For the record, I don't live on the banks of the Mississippi. I live in metro Atlanta. This flooding is highly unusual. I can't recall anything like it in my years here. Maybe the alarm clock was divine intervention, maybe not. I am pretty sure the decision not to go to the gym was an intervention and boy am I glad.


Buses toppled and pushed about by the water which was reportedly 7 feet high this AM as it rushed through. This is about a mile down the street from me.


Good call on cancelling the Beach Bash.









6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hard to run with that kind of flooding! Hope it clears up soon.

Renee said...

Be safe! That kind of water on the road is scary!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, I'd been hearing about all the rain you'd been getting. We've had bouts like that in the past that cause all sorts of flooding problems. Hope you stay dry and are able to avoid driving too much in that stuff.

Kevin said...

I have only seen flooding like this (in person) once when I lived in South Fla. This has been freaky. I really hope it ends soon

That Pink Girl said...

My word! Y'all continue to be careful and take the flooding seriously. Be safe!

Lindsay said...

crazy!! glad you were safe and distracted from trying to drive in that. hope the garage-drying went as easily as possible!