Saturday, October 17, 2009

Running in groups...


I found a group of runners not too far from me and was able to hook up with them for the first time this morning. For those of you paying attention (not to assume... maybe my Dad was...), that meant I scratched the 15k and opted for the group run instead. There were two reasons. One, the group run was sooooo much closer to home and two, I was anxious to hook up with the group and meet everyone.

The run started at 7:30 - not too painfully early which I LOVE. It was unusually cold this morning (around 45 degrees - I am in Atlanta people - that is crazzzzy). I couldn't even remember where I had stashed my long sleeve shirts this morning. We aren't supposed to have this until MAYBE November. The cold temps meant their normal pre-run parking lot chat was a bit painful as I normally dress for the run as opposed to the standing around in the parking lot. Luckily, the chat was brief. I am sure had it been warmer we would have all been much more interested in hearing what the chosen one had to say about negative splits and predicting race times but I guess it was not meant to be today.

We broke off into groups based on our pace and took off for the Suwanee greenway. The greenway is basically a trail that was built for runners, walkers, bikers along the Suwanee Creek. It is a really nice trail in that pieces of it are shaded. I haven't run on it in a while as Stone Mountain is more convenient but it is a nice choice for a run. Since it was so chilly, attendance was a bit down and there were only 3 other people at my pace. I ended up running with a guy who is training for his first half marathon. It turns out he is doing the half at Disney. I wasn't up for a long distance today so his suggestion of 5 miles was perfect. All in all, a great run. A little muddy in spots from all the rain lately but not bad. The trail was in surprisingly good condition considering all the flooding in the area.

After the run, we hung out at a coffee shop on the square. The group is making plans to run the rock n roll in New Orleans in February as well as some other local outings. I am so glad I went today. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed running with other people. Over the past year I had kind of gotten into my own regimen which is great for keeping to a schedule but sometimes you just need the company of others for motivation. I guess I had forgotten what I was missing!

In addition to the Saturday runs, they do a Tuesday/Thursday run at (GULP) FIVE AM. It is tempo runs and speedwork which would be nice. They swear that you get used to the time once you get into the routine. I definitely could make the logisitics of getting ready for work post run and all that work out but WHEW that is early. I am thinking that might call for a lunchtime nap. I am going to give it a try this week and report back :)

Does anyone out there have a Garmin? I know, that is like asking if anyone has shoes... If so, which one do you have and what is your experience with it? I love my polar heart rate monitor but think on days where I am not really doing zone training and just trying to get in a long run, it would be nice to see distances and pace.

9 comments:

AZ said...

I used to run with a club and it made things much nicer. Speed work, long runs, going to races...all better within a group.

I have a Garmin. The 305 model. I think if you go with that you could give up your Polar because it has the HR data too. Also, since the newer model Garmin came out, it is much more affordable.

Anonymous said...

yeah, I heard the ATL might get some snow!?! That is nice you have a great path to run--I like splitting into paces. Our runners club won't do that for group runs. I think everyone would do better that way! Meeting new running peps is always fun. :)

RunToTheFinish said...

I am starting to think about doing disney because I could meet so many of you!!! I am hoping to start with a group in the next week, I really want to meet some new people.

I have teh Garmin 405 and love it. Seriously I swore I wouldn't get one, but have actually found it's just very very helpful.

Karen said...

Awesome - thanks for the input! I will check out the 305 and 405.

Kevin said...

I used to run every weekend with a group in Alpharetta and havent lately and really miss it.

As a triathlete, you are better off with the 305 over the 405. The 305 can be found cheaper then ever because of the 310 (which is waterproof and has a much longer battery life.)

Unknown said...

I would have given up the solo run to go out with the group, so much more fun!
I have a Garmin 350...I didn't have one for my first races but now I love it. How do you like your heart rate monitor and is it a hassle to use?

Karen said...

I love Polar's monitor but it is the only one I have ever tried. It is a little tricky to set up your zones but once they are set you are good to go. I haven't really had any trouble at all but mine is a pretty basic model.

Lindsay said...

i have the 405. i use a polar (don't remember the model) when i run indoors though. i haven't had the 405 long enough to get to know it's bells and whistles but it's worked OK so far. the bezel is easily irritated sometimes and it's tempermental in the rain... but otherwise alright i guess.

hope you adjust to the morning running group! the accountability may help make it easier to get out of bed on the chilly winter mornings :)

ShirleyPerly said...

I've not run with others in a very long time. But I did recently get a new Garmin. I used to have an old FR 201 but it did not have a HRM. I now have a FR 305 and love it. Training in the heat, running by pace is not a reliable way to gauge effort so I've been training almost exclusively by HR. I'm happy to say it's worked great!