My co-workers and I all learned today the purpose of a snow brush. I have seen such things but never had an occasion to use one. Luckily I had the foresight to hire someone from New Jersey. Someone who brushed all our cars off as we were leaving. He really deserves a raise!
The lovely view from my car...
and on my street...
and in my backyard...
I heart snow. Can you tell? Another happy outcome of the snow was I didn't have to work tonight. Like I said, we close EVERYTHING. So no work tonight. I was actually supposed to work all weekend but the tennis tournament was cancelled due to the snow so I am off all weekend. Almost all of the courts in Atlanta are outdoors so any rain, or in this case snow and it really messes with the scheduling of tennis matches. Especially juniors tournaments where they play more than one match a day. Sometimes I feel bad for those kids and their parents waiting around during rain delays.
As luck would have it, it was a three day weekend for me from my main job anyhow due to President's Day on Monday so WOO HOO! Actually, I have mixed feelings, the cash I make during tournament weekends is pretty sweet so that I will miss. I will not miss getting up at 5:30 to be at the club at 7:00. I am pretty sure I will be over it pretty quickly as the thought of waking up without the aid of an alarm clock sounds pretty great right now.
Tonight was a quick and easy dinner night. Hubster had one of those Bertolli type frozen meals in a bag. He is so spoiled. :) I had a Kashi Veggie Pizza. It is pretty good. I am normally not a veggie pizza kind of girl but I like the thin crust. I will say the contents of the box do not exactly look like the photo on the box but do they ever? Hubster actually stole a slice and proclaimed it to be "not bad". High praise from someone who only learned to choke down broccoli a month or so ago.
In other news, I used the coffee grinder this morning for the flax seeds. That thing is the bomb diggety. Absolutely worth the $15 to grind up those bad boys. Of course now that I have ventured down the flax seed path, I learned of a new seed today. I had heard of it before - chia. They apparently are the super hero of the seed family. Who knew? Speaking of knowing... Did you know that chia pets were actually sprouted chia seeds? Maybe I am the only one who didn't put two and two together on that one. ch-ch-ch-chia.
Check out the benefits. All that from a little seed.
1. Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
2. Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
3. Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.
4. Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce lower blood pressure.
5. Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
6. Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
7. They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don't need to be ground up.
I will have to do some more investigating on this one. I have heard the texture can be a little odd especially if you soak them because they absorb the liquid and become very gel-like. Definitely worth a try though.
Any big plans for Valentine's Day? Hubster is dying to go see the wolfman movie with Anthony Hopkins. He was a HUGE fan of all the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman movies as a kid so I think I can spot him this one even though it isn't really my kind of movie. Might be a little too sci-fi like for my taste. I am more a chick-flick type girl. The things I do for