Saturday, January 8, 2011

Halfway there....


Race number two is in the books. After arriving at the start around 3 AM for the early start time and to avoid traffic, I could definitely use a nap but still feel strong for tomorrow's race. If you missed the 5k recap, check it out here. Yes, I wore the same skirt two days in a row - don't judge. :)

As it turned out, I didn't need to be too disappointed about missing my pic with Buzz & Woody yesterday as I did one better and got a picture with them and the rest of the gang today.



I finished off yesterday by going to hear Jeff Galloway speak at the expo. He was a very interesting speaker and has a lot of experience on which to base his program. It seems counterintuitive that taking walk breaks would make you faster but he has lots of case studies in his students to back it up. He said he has gone 32 years without a running injury since he switched to a run-walk program. WOW.

Shortly after hearing Jeff speak, I made my way back to hotel to settle in for a 2:00 AM wake up call. It is so odd going to bed at 6:00 in the evening and even odder to set an alarm for 2 AM. That is the way I roll here at Disney. The race itself starts at 5:30 but you have to leave time for traffic and about a half mile or so walk to the start line from the parking/bag check area.

Today's race was jam packed with people. I believe the offical number was 27,000 or so and was wall to wall people from start to finish. It wasn't really an issue for me as I wasn't running for time but can see where it would be challenging if you came to this race with a PR in mind.

This was the first time I have run the half at Disney. It is more or less an out and back from Epcot to the Magic Kingdom. There are plenty of stretches of highway running (read no bands or cheering crowds) but nothing you shouldn't be used to from your training runs. There are plenty of spots with cheering volunteers, family members and even Disney employees. As far as water stops, they are plentiful and often with a Clif gel shot station around mile 8.

For the first 5 miles you make your way to the Magic Kingdom. NOTHING is more exciting than turning that corner onto Main Street. Tons of spectators, Disney characters and the like. Fantastic! Once you head out of the MK, you are essentially headed back to Epcot. I was suprised that the half barely goes into Epcot at all, guess the full running tour of Epcot is a bonus for doing the full. :) All in all, Disney is my favorite race of all time. Yes, it is expensive. Yes, it is crowded. Yes, it is crazy fun!

If you go bring your camera as there are tons of photo ops. One more race to go... the big dance is tomorrow!







































10 comments:

Jo Lynn said...

Wow, you got so many cute pictures. Lucky!
Go get 'em. ;)

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Looks like tons of fun. My only reason that I have not wanted to do this race is that I can't see my kids and wife letting me sleep at 6-7pm at night so I don't know how I would get the sleep that would be needed. I would also never run this race with a PR in mind. This is a race to take pictures.

San said...

Whoa pics with Flynn Ryder and Winnie Pooh. I soooooooooo envy you. But I wouldn't want to get up this early. ;-)

Thumbs crossed for tomorrow. You rock Girl

ajh said...

Great pics! I am a big Toy Story fan! I also love Eyore! Big score!

Leah F said...

Love the pictures! I've never had a real desire to run Disney, but after seeing your pics and how much fun you seem to be having now I sort of do.

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

I did the disney half last september and enjoyed it immensely. I met Jeff G. there too. I've always been a Galloway girl. His method had helped me finish all my half marathons and full marathon, injury free. =)

congrats! love the skirt =)

Pahla said...

Wow, you got so many great pics!! What an exciting day!

Amanda said...

I am jealous - you got so many super great pictures! I was too slow this year to indulge in pictures.

Looks like you had a great time though :)!

Lindsay said...

i love all the pics! disney is such a great race. woody looks like he has gained weight since his movie fame...

Karen Seal said...

LOVE all the pictures! I ran the Disney Half last year and loved it! Disney puts on such fun races!! :0) Congrats!