Friday, January 7, 2011

To Infinity and Beyond...



This time yesterday I was winding my way to Florida from Atlanta. I headed straight to the expo after 7 hours of driving. Packet pick up was a breeze! I remember standing in line for quite a bit last time around so maybe I just got there at a good time. I literally walked right up, picked up my various race numbers and was done.







I think I might be a bit jaded with expos because I have seen so many of them at this point and usually see the same vendors from race to race. I did pick up a few GU gels (was hoping I could find the new cherry lime but no such luck - I had go with my other fave, pineapple roctane). I also stopped by the Ifitness booth. The guys at Ifitness ran a contest on twitter this week and I won a free race belt. Hooray! I had heard of their belts but never had really looked at them up close before.






Prior to today, I had used the spibelt which worked good for me but in all honesty does bounce around a bit by the time you load it up with gels. In trying out the Ifitness belt, I found that it did not bounce nearly as much (really doesn't seem to bounce at all) and has these cool tabs for gel storage. You put the gel in the tab and pull them out as needed. You don't need to zip and unzip a pouch to pull out your gel, you just reach down, pull it out and gel up. The belt stores up to 6 gels in the tabs. So easy. I am planning on running the half with it tomorrow. A HUGE THANK YOU to Ifitness for the belt!

On to the 5k... Disney loves to start their races early in order to get eveyrone through the parks before they open. Today started at 7:00 (all runners had to be there by 6:15), the next 2 races start at 5:40. Yikes. I got there insanely early and sat in the comfort of my car for a bit before braving the 45 degree weather. Buzz Lightyear and Woody were there for photo ops. I soooooo wanted a picture but could not stand in line. I kid you not, there were easily 200 people in line. This pic will have to do.



I loved this race. It was so relaxed. There was no timing, no results, no pressure. Considering it was only 3 miles, three were quite a few character photo ops. A few of them were D listers but whatever... My highlight was finishing right behind Jeff Galloway and family. Just like that, race number one is done. Time for some napping to get ready for the half marathon tomorrow :)













12 comments:

Debbie said...

Looks like fun! Have a great race!

Georgia Snail said...

Awesome! Have a great time with the Goofy!

Hannah said...

So exciting! I love Disney, and I love that you're having such a great time already! Enjoy the 1/2 tomorrow!

Pahla said...

Oh, I love all the pics!!! So cute! And your skirt is awesome, of course!

San said...

Wohoo. Congrats for finishing your first and keeping my fingers crossed for your other races.

I have the spibelt too and noticed the bouncing too. Bought it back at the marathon expo in Honolulu in 2008, which was pretty lame the expo, not the marathon.

Jennifer said...

Fun times! Good luck on the next ones, I know you'll kick some booty! Cheers!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Great pictues. The expo looks HUGE!

ajh said...

Fun fun fun! Love the post title.

Amanda said...

I love doing the Disney 5K races...This one was no exception! Glad you enjoyed it!

Lindsay said...

LOL. d-list disney characters. who makes that list?

Jason said...

Awesome job! This was my first "Dopey" challenge, and I had a blast! I'm glad you had a good time too!

Karen Seal said...

The 5K looks like it was a lot of fun! CUTE SKIRT!!! :0)