Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Scrub Run...

After you have been running for a while, you have more race shirts than you know what to do with. Enter the scrub run. The 5k was held at Emory Johns Creek (a local hospital) and instead of the usual t-shirt, participants were given scrub tops. Clever!



A few other runners from my club were also participating so after a little warm up and pre-race photo ops we were off...







The course was quite challenging to say the least. I am not sure how it is possible but I am pretty sure the course was uphill both ways! ;) Despite the hills, the 5k was over pretty quickly and we were on to the post race festivities. This race was run in connection with a health fair so there was a wide variety of vendors on site. The group's favorite part would be the cholesterol screening (with the Menchie's frozen yogurt a close 2nd...).



As with any competitive bunch we all compared numbers to see who won the day. I think I get an A- with my numbers. The glucose is a touch high but it wasn't a fasting number so think the banana and granola bar might have pushed me over the top. Just a theory... The numbers are definitely interesting when you start comparing to other people. Someone who looks incredibly fit and healthy can have numbers that are off the charts in a bad way. I know some can be controlled with diet and exercise but it seems like so much of it is genetics.



After we were done analyzing our cholesterol report cards, it was time for awards. Drum roll please... 2nd place WOO HOO. You guessed it, another fairly small race. They are definitely my niche ;) I was pleased with my time of 26:56 as I have not been running NEARLY as much as I was earlier in the year. (Update - I have since gone back to look at my PR - turns out I was only 13 seconds off of it. Maybe I should have taken less pictures and run faster. ha ha)



All in all, it was a great day! Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend :)

10 comments:

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

yayy congrats on placing! Sounds like a good time. it's kind of cool they did that testing too!

Jill said...

Ooooo, I LOVE the scrubs shirt, what a great idea! And super congrats on your AG placement, how cool is that!?!?

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Yay for 2nd place on a hilly course and good test results!

Amanda said...

Congrats on the second place finish! You've been doing amazing in your races.

What a great idea to have a different type of top. I know what you mean about tons of t-shirts :)!

Unknown said...

Great job on the race! :) I've definitely run races that are up hill both ways! hehehe

Great job with those health numbers!

Johann said...

Well done! 2nd place and 26:56 is a great time! I agree with the genetics theory. That’s why we still have to take good care of ourselves even though we are fit and healthy. Have a good week!

Lindsay said...

I love the scrub top idea! And the stat-checking after the race. Congrats on the AG award!!

Null said...

Hills and photography stops and you and still snagged an award. Nice job Karen!

KT80 said...

I love the scrub idea! I also like that you could get your #s checked too!

Darlene said...

Congrats on your AG award!