Monday, September 19, 2011

Counting down to Augusta...

Next Sunday is the big day! Ironman Augusta. Yes, it has become my "B" race but still plenty of excitment and nerves surround it. I definitely have an odd feeling of calm going into this week. I am hoping that is an indication of solid training. Talk to me on Octber 28th the night before Bech 2 Battleship ... am guessing I might not have the same sense of calm. In CR's way of trying to inspire me, he said "no person in their right mind would sign up for that kind of torture but you did - and you are woman enough to get it done". LOL Thanks, I think ...



As for Augusta, if you want to track my progress next Sunday, you can do so HERE. I am number 2568.

I don't really have any huge time goals for this race, primarily, just want to finish strong so that it gives me confidence for Beach 2 Battleship. This is my first experience at this distance and there are so many unknowns. I am not even sure how to estimate a finish time.

Swim: 35 minutes
The current is supposed to be insane so I may end up pleasantly suprised with this number.

Bike: 3 hours, 30 minutes
I have ridden the course twice but both times it was with a lot of stops so don't have a good handle on the time. Hopefully, it will hover somewhere around 3:30.

Run: 2 hours, 30 minutes
A conservative estimate. I am planning to do a run/walk like I will at Beach 2 Battleship so that will add some time. Excitement of the day or dead legs could bring this number up or down.

Transitions: Zero idea. The last race, I was super fast with transitions but I probably will take a little more time in this race just to avoid forgetting something important.

If I had to guess, I would say probably somewhere in the 6:30 to 7:00 range (hopefully closer to 6:30ish if things are going well). Again, just want to finish and not feel like I am going to die crossing the finish line. Too much to ask? :)

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

I don't know how you do it, running a half marathon after biking all that way! Crazy! Have a great week relax and sleep well!

Lisa said...

I am in awe of everyone who competes in tri's. As someone who hasn't been on a bike in well over a decade, it's just amazing to me! Good luck this weekend and have fun!

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

I had the same issue with the 70.3 I did in March. I had no idea how to figure out a finish time. I knew I couldn't base it on half of the time it took to do the 140.6. I ended up saying anything under 6hrs would make me happy, closer to 5:30 would be awesome. I told my husband these times and guess who wasn't at the finish line to get the video/pics of me finishing? Not his fault, I ended up doing better than I ever imagined, 5:11. Your swim is going to be very fast that's for sure especially swimming with the current. I'll be climbing Hogpen and all the other 5 Gaps in Dahlonega as you are doing your race but I'll be sending lots of good thoughts your way and check in after I'm done. Have an awesome race!

Carolina John said...

My first half iron was 6:31 Don't push too hard on the bike or your legs will give out on the run. I love the pain you get in the run on a half ironman, it's like nothing else I have found.

It's a good course and a good venue. Just go out, have fun. It's one more step on the way to ironman.

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

You are going to do great! Good luck!

Swim Bike Mom said...

So exciting!! Coach Monster is doing Augusta too!! You will ROCK IT OUT!! (To use your words :))

Johann said...

This is so great! All the best! I have lots of respect for you. You are so calm about it all. I am sure you will be great!

Ewa said...

Good luck this weekend. You are going to do great.
I've been so tempted to do a tri but I guess I am too lazy to work on my freestyle. I suck at it.
Have fun and write a report soon.

ajh said...

I can't wait to see how you do. IT is great that you are trying it and I hope you meet your goals. I thought of you this weekend when I did my ride with friends. I thought, Karen would do this ride alone if she had to. You have a lot of spirit and will do what you set out to do.

Amanda said...

Good luck...Remember to smile and have fun out there and everything else will fall in to place.

Can't wait to read all about it!