Thursday, February 16, 2012

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of a New PR...

Saturday will be my first attempt this year to lay down a better qualifying time for the Peachtree Road Race. If you aren't from Atlanta, the Peachtree Road Race is the world's largest 10k (or it was a year or so ago...not sure if we still officially hold that title, either way it is BIG).



Capped at 60,000 participants, registration for the race is on a lottery system which means that not everyone who wants to run gets in. There is guaranteed registration for Atlanta Track Club members so over the past several years, I have gone that route to insure I get a spot.

As with most races with a wave start, you don't HAVE to qualify to get a spot but if you want to be closer to the front, it helps. The time between the first wave going off and the last wave is at least 90 minutes. On the 4th of July in Atlanta, that can make a big difference in temperature.



The last three years, I used a qualifying time for a 10k I ran in 2009. The statute of limitations ran out on that one this year so it is time to get speedy again. I have a qualifying time for Corral C based on my last half marathon but I really wanted to try to get into Corral B this year, for no reason really other than to just see if I could do it.



There are a variety of race distances you can submit for a qualifying time, everything from a 5k up to a half marathon. Saturday's race is a 5k which gives me the following goals:

A. Better than 23:01. This will get me into Corral A for the Peachtree. A bit of a stretch and am not sure it is even possible. I am putting it down under the "if you believe it you can achieve it plan". :) I would be over the moon with this result.

B. Better than 24:30. This will get me into Corral B for the Peachtree. According to the Mcmillan Running Calculator, I should be able to run a 23:46. Here's hoping Mcmillan is right!



Fingers crossed for Saturday!

15 comments:

Kenley said...

Here's to getting under 23:01. You just might surprise yourself. All the Best!

Kate Geisen said...

Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Charles Harris is next Saturday.

Raina said...

I would absolutely LOVE to run in that 10k race some day.
Best wishes to you in the corral racing!

Jill said...

You will do great! Good luck!

Suz and Allan said...

Good luck! I'm sure you will do great!

Ransick said...

Good luck! That 10k is a crazy big race!

ajh said...

Good luck with that. That is a crazy big race!

A half marathon I got into filled up in one day - with 600 something runners! Big difference.

Amanda said...

Good luck - you can do this!

Barbara said...

Wow, that's one big race. We have the Vancouver Sun Run, a 10k with 50,000 runners. Not quite as big, but wave starts also. Lots of fun!
Good luck with your qualifying time!

Barbara
My Running Shortz

Lindsay said...

I didn't realize it was 60k big. Geeze!! That must take all day to get all the waves off. Good luck this weekend!

Swim Bike Mom said...

GOOD LUCK, K!!!

Ara said...

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

That Pink Girl said...

I'm late, so I hope you had a great race!

ConcreteNCoffee said...

Good luck on your race and getting drawn in the Peachtree Road Race! I can't wait for registration to open. I live and work right along the route. I ran it last year and I'll tell you being in one of those front corrals really does make such a difference!