Wednesday, April 7, 2010

It is handy to have someone at home...

CR is getting around much better these days. He had a follow up visit with his primary care physician on Monday. His blood pressure has gone down so he now only needs half the medicine he was on before. Did I mention he has lost 15 pounds on his "crash" diet? I guess broken ribs, head injuries and being miserable make you lose your appetite. The weird more long term result of his injury is that he can't smell. Anything. Can you imagine? I guess there are worse senses you can lose.

He always has had a lesser sense of smell than most (his brother convinced him to jump off the roof as a young child - brother was supposed to catch him but chose to stand and laugh while he hit the ground - brother was not very nice). Anyhow, we think that was the first blow to the sense of smell. Now, he has none at all. It may come back, it may not. As you might guess if you have ever had a cold, if you can't smell, you can't taste. As it turns out his doctor mentioned that now he needs to be very careful about over salting things because he will only be able to taste sour and sweet. It is kind of fascinating and sad all at the same time. Most likely why he has been eating less, food is just bland and boring.

So this week, CR ventured out to the grocery store for me. What a treat! He picked up a few of the basics and even got a taste of that DOH! moment when you get home and realize you forgot the main thing you went to the store for in the first place. He got several staple type items, all I really needed was eggs. He just picked up the first ones he saw - Egglands Best. I have designer eggs! Can't wait to try them :) Tonight we are having spaghetti courtesy of CR. Pretty handy alright.

After I got home from work, I spent an hour sifitng through assorted storage boxes and other places where I thought I might have tucked CR's birth certificate. He worked for Northern Telecom for about 10 years back when they had retirement funds. Turns out he has a teeny tiny one coming his way. It doesn't amount to much but we might appreciate the extra monthly check when we are on a fixed income (or now). For now, I have to give them a copy of his birth certificate. After an hour of searching in MY filing spots, I looked in the filing cabinet. To most, that would be obvious but that is not the way I roll. I found it. In a folder on which CR had neatly written BIRTH CERTIFICATE. He is now in charge of groceries and organization.

In other news, Herb at Lifetime has promised to set up a Warrior Dash type obstacle course on Friday morning. He was particularly thrilled that it is supposed to rain tomorrow which will make the course extra muddy. Can't wait to see what torture awaits!


Have you guys tried Tide Sport detergent? Not that my close are particularly sweaty smelling pre-workout but I thought I would try it just in case... (who knows maybe my sense of smell is diminished like CR's...) Not sure I like it. It is REALLY perfumy. I guess that is the idea. I am wondering if it not only washes out the sweat smell but is supposed to deposit some kind of fragrance in order to mask future sweat smells? It is just kind of odd to me. Has anyone else tried it? Wondering if it was just me...

8 comments:

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Enjoy those designer eggs! You'll have to post a review. Have fun on the obstacle course!

Sorry about the loss of smell for your husband. I hope it comes back.

Lauren said...

I love eggland's best, I never get pieces of the shell in the egg when I crack it (like I do with generic brand eggs).

And that detergent sounds intense! I just buy grocery-store brand detergent.

Unknown said...

How fun, a muddy obstacle course. Enjoy that! I hope all is well with your husband. My sense of smell is so important to me...I love smells so much but I think we are all so different as far as the sense go so I hope he won't miss it too much. I also hope it's not something permanent.

Unknown said...

As for detergent, have you ried Win Detergent? It comes in a very small super concentrate bottle. Its on the top shelf near the Woolite. I use it WITH regular Tide, it works very well. I think. Not perfummy at all

AZ said...

I think I have a limited sense of smell also. I must have had a blow to the head when I was younger.

X-Country2 said...

I love workouts where you EARN that shower. Good luck!

San said...

Glad CR is getting along better. Eating without smell sucks though, hopefully he gets his smell sense back.

Designer Egg?! What are they, cubes or what? I don't get it.

And looking for stuff, yeah, I know that. I'm getting neater by the day, but my search sense doesn't keep up with it. Means the neater I get the less fast I find the stuff. Weird.

Enjoy your weekend in the mud.

Cheers,
San

Jennifer said...

Sounds like things are going good. Can't ask for anything more! Cheers!