Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cleaning it up...

I think I told you last week that I was working with someone on getting a nutrition plan together. I got the plan late Monday and, since time was short, threw together a few breakfasts and lunches last night following the new plan. As you might have guessed, the plan is essentially a simple clean eating plan which is nice because that means it is easy to follow. There are no weird rules or unusual ingredients.

I haven’t really analyzed the break down but it seems to be incorporating more protein than I would in my regular meals. Noticeably absent are doritos, pizza and ice cream – bummer. There was not a specific mention but I think diet soda is on the NO list as well. I am assuming this because it specifically says if you want caffeine you may have one cup of black coffee a day. I believe I can take that to mean no Diet Dr. Pepper, which I needed to be scale back anyhow. Tough love.

My main reason for seeking out some guidance was because barely one month into the 70.3 training, I am aware of being hungry and tired all the time. I can assume the tired is from the extra workouts but could be food related as well. I know what foods and how much food I need to eat on a normal day but toss in extra workouts and I am not sure how much more food I need to add in to my day. When I am tired, I tend to go for what is easy or looks good as I am driving home and obviously that is not the best choice.

There are a few vitamin supplements included in the plan that I am not sure about only because I really don’t know anything about these things. I am a One a Day daily multivitamin kind of person. I am going to go with the recommendation without question and see what happens since I trust the level of expertise behind the recommendation. I know my food choices make me tired and hungry, so at this point I am open to suggestion!

Here we go, day one. I will let you know… So far, I can say my attempt at overnight oats failed. I was literally tossing things together last night for the week and didn’t think it through. Five ounces of greek yogurt and ½ cup of oats pretty much makes glue. Luckily, the half of an apple sprinkled on top with cinnamon helped me choke it down. Might need to rethink that one for tomorrow. HA HA. The plan for today is to eat something every 2.5 to 3 hours. Each snack and meal has some amount of protein no matter how small and is heavy on fruit and veg. Cross your fingers I make it to day two without my Diet Dr. Pepper ;)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Clean eating sounds great right now, I'm sure it will bring you some needed energy! Keep us posted.

fancy nancy said...

I try to follow clean eating as much as possible! It has been great for my whole family!! I can't wait to hear about your meals, etc!

Dennis Murray said...

Sounds like my general eating plan - eat more food made from real ingredients and limit the amount of crackers/chips and junk.

At least a few days a week I'll eat eggs with spinach and peppers, large spinach salads with lunch and dinner. Actually there's a large spinach salad every night in my plan. When I need to snack, it has to have a protein component like nuts or lean poultry (Greek yogurt is great too).

It's along the lines of paleo but I'm not 100% committed to paleo.

Karen said...

Thanks for the support y'all :) @Dennis, that sounds a lot like my plan. Every meal and snack has a little bit of protein with it. The plan might be a bit paleo in nature, I'll have to check it out.

Amanda said...

Sounds like a great plan. It's a tough balance, but it sounds like something reasonable and you can tweak if needed :).

Jennifer said...

I love Greek yogurt, but amazingly it is too rich for my gut. My body just hates it. Lite nonfat yogurt is about all I can do. Weird. I have a very "clean" diet and boy it helps. My main problem is not getting enough "clean" calories to keep me energized! Good luck with it!

ajh said...

This sounds great. Hope it works and gives you the energy you need.

Adrian {Happy girl} said...

Yay for clean eating! It's such a simple thing to do to better your diet, but makes a huge difference :) Good luck making it work, I'm rooting for you!

Johann said...

Good for you! You are braver and more disciplined than I am for sure. I find it very difficult to stick to a clean diet. When I'm really training hard I eat a lot and usually have whatever I crave. I believe my body knows how to tell me what it needs. Easy excuse to eat anything.

Kate Geisen said...

Good luck, Karen! I need to really look at what I'm eating bc my diet is a real weak link for me. Kind of silly to be excited about a lighter, faster bike and sabotage myself with a heavier, slower body. When I am eating well, it's when I'm planning ahead and then staying committed. Need to get back to that. Hopefully your success will inspire me! (and I hear you both on QT and too much diet soda).