Friday, June 10, 2011

What I am loving right now…

Lord knows, I could make a list a mile long of things I love. This week, these have been a few of my 'go to' things. I almost was tempted to throw my bike on the list as the love hate relationship has turned into nothing but love. I'll have to tell you about my latest ride and awesome bike route find in the next post! For now, here are a few of my favorite things.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes, snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes, silver white winters that melt into... oh wait. Wrong list.

Coppertone Spray Sport Sunscreen. This one has actually been a favorite for a while now. Spray it on, no rubbing. Can’t be beat. It can be a little glue like but it works like nothing else I have tried and I am a fair skinned individual so have tried everything. There is a version now by Neutrogena that can be applied to wet skin that has my interest since I sweat so much. I tried it once and got tiny water blisters from it after being in the sun. I might try it again to be sure that wasn’t something weird with me and not the sunscreen.




Bigelow Mentha Body Wash (available at Bath & Body Works). That Pink Girl pointed me in the direction of this one. It works great on those days that you are sweating even coming out of the shower. The mint is instantly cooling on your skin and definitely helps in the heat.




The Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel. It seems a lot of you are reading this these days. I love the section on the principles of training, sort of the science behind it all. Anyone that recommends you fit a 30 minute nap in over your lunch break is tops in my book! Besides the nap recommendation, there is a lot of useful and interesting information in this book.




Protein Balls. Oh My. Have you ever had those peanut butter balls at Christmas that are dipped in chocolate? Some people call them buckeyes. I would not steer you wrong on this one. Imagine those without the chocolate outside and you have Fitnessista’s Protein Balls. I pretty much follow her recipe but use 1 T vanilla protein powder and 1 T chocolate protein powder. At about 100 calories per ball, they are great for a pre or post workout snack. They also would be a great way to stave off a dessert craving. Sort of an “eat this not that” thing.


source

Fig Newtons. We are going old school. Until the past week or so I was not really a fan. Not sweet enough I suppose. Who wants a Fig Newton when you could have a Nutter Butter or a Double Stuf Oreo? Well, things have changed. I love carrying Fig Newtons on my long bike rides. They seem to give me just enough energy and they are easy to eat while riding. So much better than trying to suck down a GU. I have a little bit of trouble getting the Ziploc baggie open and closed while rolling but that may just take practice or perhaps another kind of bag.




What are you loving right now?

8 comments:

Null said...

The body wash sounds great. I feel like such a freak walking out of the shower still sweating.

What brand of protein powder do you normally use?

Holly said...

I'm definitely going to check out that cool mint body wash--I hate feeling hot and sweaty even after my shower. Ugh!

I also like GoldBond powder--the green bottle--because it has menthol in it that makes you feel cooler for a bit after you use it.

Fig Newtons are yummy.

Unknown said...

I love Fig Newtons - they come with me on all my training rides! :) And the spray sunscreen is a must!

I'm loving my flipflops and cotton skirts! :)

ajh said...

Darn I was just at Bath and Body sale and could have bought that. And just at the grocery store and would have loved an excuse to buy fig newtons. I do have the sun screen. Can't wait to hear about the bike route.

I am loving my commutes to work.

Amanda said...

Wow, what a great list...I'm not sure what I'm loving right now...I guess I love my Body Glide it certainly helps.

Oh and I love my Jeff Galloway Invertal Timer - it is perfect for me :)!

Jill said...

I will have to check into those protein balls....I'd like a grab and go something to chew on instead of making a protein shake all the time. And you made my mouth start watering when you mentioned those buckeyes - remember those as a kid!!

I need some spray sunscreen for my back, can't seem to get it by myself back there, so this would work great. Thanks for the reminder!! :)

B.o.B. said...

I've made those protein balls before and I love them! I must make some again soon. They are a nice treat on a hot day.

I'm gonna have to try that Bigelow stuff! It looks delightful.

P.S. The medals from that race are HUGE and it was a pretty inexpensive race. Score!

That Pink Girl said...

Spray on sunscreen is a GREAT invention! You can get everywhere on your own!
So glad you liked the body wash. It's perfect post workout!
Protein balls eh? I'm going to have tom try this, are they sweet or salty?