Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Week 5 update...

Thirteen weeks to Augusta! Here is what I did this week...

Saturday: Early morning tennis match, never managed to work my planned run in for the day.

Sunday: Early morning tennis match. Met up with my friend at 2:00 for a bike ride. About six miles into the ride, something funky was happening with her chain so we headed back to the car making a total of 10 miles. (it turns out one of the links was somehow twisted and needed to be replaced). I set the bike up on my trainer at home and rode another 20 miles to get to 30 for the day. I have a thing about sticking to the mileage on the schedule (most of the time anyhow…)

Monday: Off day. Sat in front of the TV with CR and vegetated.

Tuesday: AM 1900 meters. Our coach was apparently testing our lung capacity or trying to drown us as we did lots of breathing drills. PM ran 2.25 miles and coached my swim group which ended up only being one person. She made some great progress so it was a win! So many of the newer swimmers swim with their head half out of the water and almost completely pick their heads up to breathe. The problem with that is you almost come to a stop in the water every time you breathe. It is pretty cool to see someone go from that to really keeping their head down the entire swim. Makes such a huge difference! (my tip for the day…)

Wednesday: PM Bike 20 miles.

Thursday: AM 2000 meters. Stroke day so we did a mix of butterfly, back and breaststroke drills. PM 5.5 mile run.

Friday: 2300 m swim.


Lessons Learned:

I have got to do a better job of getting my long run in on the weekend. Tennis is kind of getting in the way of it right now so hopefully with the end of the season that will work itself out.

The new food plan is going surprisingly well. I am really almost shocked. I am down to one Diet Dr. Pepper a day which is amazing since I was easily drinking 3 or 4 previously. The first couple of days were rough going as I was a bit hungry but that seems to have changed. The last couple of days I really have not felt hungry at all in between meals which, as someone who is always sort of planning the next meal, is fantastic. I am eating quite a bit more protein than I was previously and much less processed carbs. Essentially all my carbs are coming in the form of fruits and vegetables. I can’t really tell a change in energy levels yet. I thought Friday maybe they were a bit better but then today I feel randomly tired for some reason. Who knows…

I normally fall out of any new eating plan after less than a week so we will call this a victory. I have even caught myself actually making good choices (gasp). I picked up Taco Bell on Sunday for CR (that is the way we roll from time to time…) and decided that I didn’t want to blow my progress on a taco. I can’t really even believe it myself. So far so good!

Side note... Would you believe they have found 2 dead bodies in and around my beautiful bike route this past week? They said one had been there at least a year and the other was more recent. They were determined to be unrelated. Kind of taints my lovely country ride, don't you think? wow.

12 comments:

Teamarcia said...

You're doing so great on the workout and eating fronts! Dead bodies on the bike route I can do without. Scary.

Ewa said...

Your workouts are quite impressive, especially getting gon a trainer to get your miles in. Wow!
Those were not bikers' bodies, I hope. Scary stuff but I hope it won't keep you indoors.

ajh said...

Dead bodies would put a damper on it. Just ride when others are around.

Yolanda said...

Wow you are hard core!!! Way to go

Amanda said...

What a great week! Sounds like you made a lot of good progress with the food and workouts too. I'm sure you'll be able to get those long runs in when there's less tennis :).

That's scary about the bodies...I hate hearing things like that about places I run. Makes me nervous.

Karen Seal said...

Tennis is an awesome workout! Way to go!!!

Lindsay said...

Yikes. I may need to find a new bike route if that was me!!

KT80 said...

Dead bodies is super scary! I agree though, best to run when others are around and be sure someone knows your route and expected return time.

RunToTheFinish said...

eiik dead bodies that's no good at all.

you are doing great with cross training, but probably right about needing to find time for that long run. I know those long runs make a big difference for me mentally on race day

Jill said...

Dead bodies on any route I would be on would defintley be a little creepy! Hope they figure out who did it!

I admire you change in diet and I know you're going ot stick wit it and feel the absolute best you can!!

Happy 4th weekend!! :)

wendy said...

Congrats on sticking to your eating plan! That can be very challenging!

Tricia said...

hope youre having an awesome july!