Thursday, August 25, 2011

Back from DC ...

What's shaking kids? I can say that because I was in DC on Tuesday when the earthquake went down. It was my first earthquake and all so it was pretty exciting. Based on my experience, I am gonna go out on a limb and say that the news coverage was very over the top. Yes, there was some damage here and there but....

I was in DC for a training class. There were about 12 of us in a room on the 2nd floor of a 12 story hotel when we felt a little rumble. Almost like a truck went by the window (except that we were on the 2nd floor...), I thought it was the guy bringing in our afternoon cookies or maybe the air conditioner kicking on. We all just sort of looked at each other when the rumbling got a little bit stronger (and no cookies appeared). At that point, we grabbed our belongings and went outside just in case. Later we found out that you are not supposed to go outside but this being our first earthquake and all, who knew? At that point, we didn't even know it was a earthquake we just knew things felt a little unstable. It lasted all of 10 seconds. The most amazing thing to me was by the time we got outside (about 60 seconds later), it was already on the news. Crazy how fast they can get the information out to the public.

I made it home last night around 10 PM and got up and back on my training schedule this morning. I hit the pool at Lifetime and then headed out to the tennis courts (not officially part of the training plan). I am currently trying to decide between riding my bike tonight or tomorrow...

and finally..... We have a winner! I did a little random.org action and my winner is #1: Mari Fridenmaker - CONGRATS! Mari's go to breakfast is a smoothie: Ice, Banana, Frozen Fruit (ie Strawberries), Powdered Milk, 1 T of Peanut Butter, 1 T of Plain Yogurt and Water! Looks like she will be able to stock up on some smoothie supplies at Publix.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Well, you got more than you bargained for with that training course :). Glad that you made it through the earthquake unscathed.