Thursday, May 9, 2013

Getting down to business...

So here we are 16 weeks from Louisville and seeing as I just registered a week or so ago, I decided I needed to get with it and formulate a plan!  I have used a trifuel plan for my other two iron distances and it worked just fine so there was plenty of thought given to leaving well enough alone.  The thing is there was this book I bought 2 years ago that was calling my name.

I think I was going to use it for one race or another back then but didn't because it seemed complicated.  Not complicated to follow training-wise but the way it is laid out in the book requires you to flip from one section to the next to figure out your prescribed workouts.  There are about 16 levels of workouts in there so the way they organize it make sense but I think at that time I just wanted a sheet of paper I could print and go.  Anyhow, suddenly after two years of gathering dust I decided to use it.  ...and with that I have created a plan.

While I loved the workouts in the Trifuel plan, I think the weekday workouts for the week-by-week plan are a bit more challenging and might help me more at this point.  What I have decided to do is use the weekday workouts from Fitzgerald (I am going with Level 8 if you have the book and are curious) and then use the Trifuel plan for the long distance workouts on the weekends.

Sunday after I got home I spent some time mapping it all out and just like that a plan is on paper!  I kicked it off Tuesday and have had good luck hitting all the workouts so feel great about it going forward...  A little swimming, a little biking, a little running and I will be ready for Louisville in no time :)




  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

:) I'm excited for you. And I'm excited to cheer for you!

Kevin said...

Let the fun begin. I have that book and used it for many races. My only complaint is that it is a little monotonous. Good luck with your training

Carolina John said...

yea 16 weeks isn't as long as it sounds. I make my ironman training plans for 38 weeks because I'm a dumbass like that.

Matthew Smith said...

I'm using the Trifuel plan for Louisville. If you've used it twice, hopefully it'll work for me. :) I'll be interested to see how you like Fitzgerald's plan. I've thumbed through that book a time or two. Good luck!

Jennifer said...

That's funny, my first running book was one I got years before I decided to start running. A good book never goes bad! Good luck with your training!

Jenn (junkmiles.org) said...

woo-hoo!! We have 2 friends that do it every year with IMFL and now IMTX.....crazy guys!! We will be cheering you on...All I hear is what a BEAUTIFUL ride it is and the swim is apparently awesome too!! :)