Saturday, June 21, 2008

Group Run

This morning I ran with my GFA group. I had not been there in a few weeks due to the triahtlon and tennis conflicts. It was nice to join up with them again, long runs are sooooo much easier with a group. You may want to stop but you don't because you are with the group and the conversation can keep your mind off how far you have run. Today it turned out to be fairly cool, it was cloudy so the sunw asn't beating down on us as we ran. We did anywhere from 10.5 to 11.5 miles depdening on whose device you trust. The guys have a garmin GPS, I have a nike footpod. My footpod said 11.53 miles. Their GPS was reading about 10.5. It was a nice run around the Duluth area from our Wal-Mart meeting point near Shorty Howell Park down and around Pickneyville Park then back to Wal-Mart. My pre-run meal consisted of a pack of 100 calorie pringles that I grabbed on the way out. Not too smart... Note to self, next time get up earlier to eat and bring GU gels.

I had not officially calibrated my footpod and it had seemed fairly accurate on my Stone Mountain run but since there was a such a discrepancy between my mileage and the two GPS guys, I decided to stop at Mountain Park and calibrate my footpod on the way home. It is pretty easy, you just have to run a mile then upload it to the PC when you get home. When I stopped at the mile marker at Mountain Park, the footpod was showing 1.05 so it really pretty close.

I did manage to spend some time with Wii this week. I have a new addiction, Guitar Hero. I know... So far I am pretty close to mastering "Slow Ride" by Foghat and "Hit me with your best shot" by Pat Benetar. If you do well enough, you get to play the whole song. If you do not do well, you get booed off the stage and they stop you in the middle of the song. Hours of enjoyment. Too many hours. I had planned on going to bed at 8:00 Wednesday night. At 10;30, I finally turned off the Wii and went to bed. It is addictive. My goal is to progress to something other than the "easy" level. HA HA. Perhaps I should track my progress on the side bar with my running. :)

Oh! I did sign up for the Georgia Games. DJ talked me into it. It seemed important to him to have a lot from his group participating and he did really get me started on the while running thing so I agreed to give it a try. I am running the 1500 (just short of a mile). I will be happy as long as no one laps me! July 20th.

No comments: