Saturday, January 24, 2009

weekend update

I don't know where the time is going lately, it seems as I have not updated in more than a few days... I guess I better put something out there before you think I have fallen off the face of the earth! Prepare for randomness...

It occured to me today that I have not done ANY running in the last 2 weeks. WOW. I intended to head out today but it is rainy (yes, I know I could still go but...). Monday I must get back on the program!

I got a copy of the Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide: Plans, Scheduling Tips, and Workout Goals for Triathletes of All Levels (how is that for a concise title?). I cracked it open yesterday to start planning my life between now and the end of September. They have levels 1 through 10 depending on your goals for each of the tri distances. Everything from just wanting to finish to trying to win your age group. All the plans seem very doable. There are a few days of "two-a-day" workouts in the plan but nothing that seems unmanageable. I will start giving it a go in the next week to get ready for my first Tri of the year in May. For the Oly, I am going with the level 5 workout and for the Half-iron I am sticking with level 1 or 2 which is the "I just want to finish this thing in one piece and not crawl across the finish line as a bloody, beaten mess" plan. I am pretty sure that is a direct quote from the book.

In other news, I captained my last tennis match week. Can I get a WOO HOO? Captaining is so much more work than anyone realizes. I have captained 12 (or more) seasons over the past four years and was more than ready to hand in my resignation. I will miss all the tennis but don't see how I can fit it in if I am going to focus on the half-iron this year.

What else... oh! I was chosen to participate in a fit-link study at Lifetime Fitness. I am pretty excited about it. The concept is teaching the test group how to utilize heart rate zone training to achieve your fitness goals. There is a nutrition component (which was my main draw to participating) as well as other educational opportunities throughout the 8 weeks. The idea is that by training in the proper heart rate zones you can improve your fitness and overall endurance more than if you just go out there and either just do what is comfortable or go all out more than is necessary. It all starts next weekend with measurements, VO2 testing, blood work, etc. Can't wait - hope I can stick with the nutrition end of the bargain. It is my achilles heel!

That's all for now... final weekend of studying before my re-certification test for HR. UGH. Must pry fingers away from blogger and facebook.... Ciao!

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I have that book too and it is a big help.

Congrats on getting picked for the study. I thought about applying, but it sounded like there were costs involved for the training