Sunday, July 17, 2011

Do one thing that scares you...


So Heather has this challenge going on. Being as I am always up for a challenge... my motto is sign up first and then figure out whether or not I can actually do it later. Not always practical or smart but it seems to get me motivated to do a lot of things I might not have done had I thought them through first.

The challenge is basically to do one thing that scares you no matter what that thing might be. It could be going on your first group run. Maybe yours is to go swim in the deep end to get over your fear of not being able to put your feet down. One of my friends signed up for an open water clinic this weekend. Only two weeks ago, she had a fear of swimming in anything other than the shallow end of the pool. Talk about taking on your fear head on! She had a great time and learned a lot. Sometimes you just have to stop listening to those voices that like to tell you what you CAN'T do and tell yourself that YOU CAN!

My fear as you might guess involves biking. Trust me, I have come a long way in a short period of time but I have a long way to go. My challenge was to take a solo ride of more than a few miles. I initially wanted to conquer 60 miles on my own but to be perfectly honest, after the race over the weekend my legs were having no part of that action. I loaded up the bike and set out Wednesday AM for my ride. Thirty-six miles later, I was back at my car ready for some air conditioning! It wasn't my favorite trail, I am pretty much addicted to my country ride that has become a Sunday tradition but I did it...on my own! SUCCESS!

What are you going to do this week to challenge yourself?

7 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

Nice job, Karen!

I'm embarking on yet another thing that terrifies me this morning: my first mountain bike race. Mountain biking is scary enough on its own, but doing it with other people who are going way faster and want to get around me...yikes.

Jim ... 50after40 said...

You gals biking a long way scares me! I'm always afraid my wife is gonna wreck when she's out on her own like that ... be careful! But, also ... awesome job! I couldn't do that!

Jill said...

Great job, wooohoo!!!

I signed up for something back in March that is coming up in August. Considering where my heel's been the past year, it's a little daunting...but I think I'm gonna do it. Stay tuned :).

ajh said...

I guess mine would be to get clipless pedals. I will do it one of these days.

If I truly did what scared me I would hold a snake but nothing and no one is going to convince me to do that.

Amanda said...

I'm not sure what my fears are right now. I haven't really thought much about it. I guess maybe it would have to be parachuting - never really understood why I'd jump out of a perfectly good plane...and no, I'm not afraid of flying at all :)!

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

wow 36 miles alone is soooo awesome, great job!!

That Pink Girl said...

36 miles? Wow, way to go! On Saturday I'll be joining our local bike shop's group ride. Eek, that really scares me! I'm so new to biking and the thought of struggling in front of others is frightening.
Love this challenge!