Monday, July 25, 2011

A little of this and that...



So I did it! I sat down this weekend, took the rear wheel off my bike,let the air out and changed a flat. It really was pretty easy. I am so glad I finally did it. One less thing to worry about!





My day started out Saturday with what I thought was a one hour "novice" bike ride. While I tend to lump myself in that novice category, I suppose it all relative. It turns out this one hour session was a ride of sorts but entirely within a parking lot. The two other people who showed up for the class were just learning to ride a bike (as in they never learned as kids). I see that a lot in swimming but I think that is the first time I have heard of an adult who never rode a bike as a child. I admire anyone who takes on something like that it cannot be easy!



I ended up politely excusing myself from the ride and doing a quick 10 miles on my own before I headed out to the Farmer's Market to pick up my haul. I kind of had an overscheduled day anyhow so I wasn't too disappointed that the class didn't work out. I also needed to squeeze a 13 mile run into the mix.



Okra made its first appearance in my CSA bag this week. I wish I knew what to do with it besides fry it and make it into a gumbo of sorts. One of my tennis friends said she eats them raw. I tried one last night although admittedly it was dipped into a lot of tomato sauce. Not sure about that one... While they aren't slimy raw, they are a little hairy. I might try chopping them into a salad.







Check out this zucchini! Too bad CR doesn't love them the way he loves cucumbers. I will have to sneak it into his vegetable soup. We could eat off this for days... or hollow it out and wear the halves as shoes. or not. Hmmmm....



In other news... If you are looking for a free update to your blog (header, design, etc.), Check out Miss Felicity. She is giving away blog makeovers through July. Sounds like a win/win to me!

9 comments:

Julie said...

Yea for tire changing!!!!

Stuff that zucchini smother with marinara sauce...yummy!

Amanda said...

Glad you tried changing the tire and that it went okay. That will help the confidence for sure.

Those are some yummy looking veggies - not sure about the okra raw, never tried that.

That Pink Girl said...

I am impressed an inspired at your tire changing skills!

Scott Cannon said...

I recently discovered that my girlfriend has never ridden a bike without training wheels. I mentioned this to a colleague at work (because I couldn't believe that), and he revealed that he's never taught his two children (ages 7 and 11) to ride bikes, either. You are right--good for those adults to get out there and learn something new and fun to do. Looks like there are some parents out there that have let their kids down (except for inner city families who might not have anywhere to ride).

Debbie said...

Good for you on the tire changing. Now you're ready!

Funny to consider yourself a beginner, then to realize that to those real newbies, you are close to a pro :-)

Kate Geisen said...

Nice job on the tire changing!

I'm like you with the whole viewing myself as a novice thing. I think it's bc I always tend to compare myself to people who are way better, so compared to them, I am.

I slice up the zucchini, sautee it with onion and garlic til it's tender, then add a can or two of diced tomatoes, then toss the whole mess into an oven safe dish, top it with parmesean and mozzerella, and cook til the cheese melts. Good stuff.

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

I agree on giving big props to any adult who goes out and learns to ride a bike. I've heard of a couple doing it before and they always try it in secret. But hey, there are a ton of things every adult can't do. Own up and learn! Awesome to hear more people are doing it.

And holy giant zucchini!

Lindsay said...

I baked zucchini the other day. 3/4" slices, sprayed with evoo, flavor with garlic, bake for a few mins (can't remember how many but you could just google this "recipe") and then add some mozz cheese and broil for a couple mins til melted. Yum.

That was quite a beginner ride! Kudos to those people for getting out there!!

ajh said...

I would never think of someone not riding a bike as a kid. I teach some pretty poor kids and I think they all ride bikes.