Tuesday, August 26, 2008

No sleep for the weary...


Just as the Olympics wrapped up, I thought I might get a couple nights of decent sleep. Not so. Why oh why is the US Open starting the day after the Olympic ends?!?!? The lack of sleep continues (and the parade of cuties on my TV - specifically Marat Safin!). Last night, a 5-set opening match with James Blake and Donald Young. I really thought Donald Young would lose quickly based on the first set and he reallied to go to 5 sets with Blake. Midnight. I was a walking zombie today.

My doctor's assistant called yesterday. She wanted to know how my foot was so she could report back to Dr. Alsobrook. Did I mention how much I love this practice? Everyone is so nice and seem to genuinely be concerned. I told her it seemed fine, still a little achy, not 100% right. She called back today and put the doctor on the phone. He wants to know how things are going. Same story. I mentioned that it felt achy after a couple of matches, I had even iced it after my match on Saturday. He said "I thought tennis was over". I said, "tennis is never over". Every time I talk to him I have new event on the schedule, I am going to have to bring my calendar so he can keep up :) I told him I had scratched plans for Chicago and was now focusing on Disney. (in fact, I had just mapped out my new training plan in my calendar yesterday). and then... he says he wants me to stay off my foot for another 3 weeks. No weight bearing activity. Upper body weights and swimming. Biking if it doesn't hurt but after discussion that was put in the category of "only if you have to and would rather you didn't". oh my....

So here we go again. I will survive! As my friend, Theresa, reminded me I used to do nothing but swim for my workouts so why does this now seem like torture? Good point, I can't explain it. Some of it is not being able to play tennis, some of it is that I used to swim with a masters group now I swim on my own which is not nearly as conducive to keeping me motivated in my swim workout. I do have a aqua jogging belt so I may investigate the deep end of the pool for a deep water run. I will make it work and I will not go crazy in the process!

No comments: