Saturday, May 24, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Foxes, oh my!

Today was a great day for being outside! I got up at 6:30 to head over to Peachtree Ridge High School for run club. There was a decent turnout - probably about 10 people. The run was a little disappointing. I am not sure why it was so short but we only ran 2.5 miles. It was pretty hilly and was having a hard time breathing for some reason. My heart rate was definitely higher than normal (around 160 to 170, I usually am in the 145 range for my runs). I am not sure what the issue was, might have been the hills, might have been the humidity. I just felt like I couldn't quite catch my breath.

After the run, I went to the gym for a swim. Today was the first day that the outside lap pool was open so I was excited to swim some laps outside. I honestly don't think I have swam laps in an outside pool since I was a kid on swim team many years ago. We were the Abingdon Aquanauts. Our team colors were brown and yellow. Nothing intimidates like an 8 year old in a brown and yellow bathing suit with a Dorothy Hamill haircut.

When I got to the gym, they were still getting the outside pool ready so I swam 500 inside and then another 600 outside when the pool opened up. I was going to stop at 500 but teh draw of the lovely outside sun was too much to resist so I went out there and did another 600.

As I was leaving to head to the locker room, I heard someone shouting my name. I may be naive, but I prefer to think in a swim cap and swimsuit I am invisible and that no one could possibly recognize me. Not so... It turned out it was someone from my tennis team that I had not seen in over a year.

After a little catching up I headed for a quick shower and change into tennis gear. We had to make up our match that was rained out Friday night. It was extremely hot outside. I think this was the first match all year where we really felt the heat. I am guessing it was around 85 or so. We have been spoiled with cooler than normal weather this month so it had not even occured to me to pack a cooler with ice like I normally would for summer matches. Joan picked up a great tip from another player that really works well. I pack several wrist sweat bands in ice and then swap them out every time I change sides during the match. It really does help keep you cooler. My helpful hint for the day.... Oh. We lost, 3 sets but a decent match. They were definitely the better players.

The rest of the afternoon was uneventful until I spotted two foxes in the yard. I do not know why but I have a lot of creatures in my yard. I live on about about 3.5 to 4 acres with a creek running through it but it isn't like I am in the country. I am in a normal neighborhood. It is not unusual to see rabbits munching on grass, tons of birds, a possum that likes to eat pizza and bagels and cream cheese out of the trash (he is very tidy, he only pulls one item and doesn't leave trash everywhere) and deer from time to time sometimes just one deer, sometimes whole families. Today I looked out the window and spotted two foxes. You can somewhat make them out in the photos.

In this one, the fox is between the three bushes on the left, running towards the left.


I this one, you can see the fox in the driveway next door. I really need a zoom...

No comments: